Skip to main content

Is it too much too ask???

One of my favorite songs is Lucinda Williams' Passionate Kisses. In it she asks, "Is it too much to ask? I want a comfortable bed that won't hurt my back? Food to fill me up and warm clothes and all that stuff. Shouldn't I have this?...."

Lately I'm in a "Shouldn't I have??" place. All my socks have holes. All my underwear has no more elastic and my bras don't fit. My towels don't adsorb anymore. My car needs a detail wash, not just a drive-thru. I find myself wondering why I don't have it. Why am I settling for less than I deserve? Why am I settling for less than I settled for? Is it just too much to ask?

I know I'm really lucky. I have a good job and my benefits are much better than many people. I have wonderful friends who love me and support me. I have a daughter who is smarter, prettier, more capable, more loved and respected than I could ever have wished for. And she loves me, too. I can and do take care of myself. I'm emotionally, financially and physically independent. I love my home. I love my family. I love my friends. I love my cat, even when he continues to wake me up at 4:30 in the morning. I love my car and my walks to work. I love my wine and my whiskey and my computer. I love my blog and my facebook and my email and my Iphone. I love sun and flowers and coffee and good hand lotion.

But is it too much to ask? Shouldn't I have this...shouldn't I have all of this and new undies and fluffy towels and a clean car and passionate kisses.

Comments

Sara Moriarty said…
i understand that this was intended to be a rhetorical question but YES YES YES. Can't wait to see you Saturday!
Bridgete said…
Of course you should.

Love you.
Chris Dashiell said…
You should be adored.
Bert said…
Yes, yes, yes and YES !

Love you.
you settle because you're too busy focusing on the needs of those around you and you have forgotten about yourself.

get to it, love. you know you deserve it.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings - or is it starting over?

Almost immediately after I posted my last blog, my car broke down again.  I stepped on the clutch pedal and "SNAP", just like the last time.  Only this time, the pedal did not come back up.  It was stuck to the floor and I was unable to shift at all.  Fortunately, it happened right outside my apartment and the repair shop is at the gas station across the street.  So I pushed it in and called them the next day to tell them what happened. They called me a little later to tell me that this time was the clutch cable and not anything that they fixed in January.  So it wasn't covered by warranty and I would now have to pay another 130.00. I set the thought aside because I was leaving for a weekend trip with friends to attend the wedding of two other friends.  Lori and BC have been together for a couple of years.  And they are so perfect together.  I knew Lori only briefly before she started dating BC, so I had nothing to compare it too.  But ...

It just sucks...

You want to know what the worst part about moderate to severe depression? (using the clinical diagnosis here) It's knowing when those waves hit you that there is something or someone out there that you let get to you. In my case, it's usually a combination of things. I've got multiple projects coming to deadline at work - stress. I'm not sleeping very well because of allergies. I'm not eating like I should be. I'm getting my exercise - walking, yoga - which is a positive because that's usually the first thing to go. And so I'm vulnerable to those triggers and I know it. I avoid mr. ring on his finger 'cause that will just send me over the edge. But I can't keep him from coming onto my floor and sitting down at the cubicle next to me and talking to someone else. So I put on the headphones and hit play on Itunes and what do I get....love songs. Crap. And even he wouldn't get to me if the really big trigger hadn't been flipped jus...

Random Thoughts about my Mother

It's been a very hectic month for me.  I got very sick right after Thanksgiving and was barely able to hold my head up, let alone sit at a computer for long.  Got back to work last week and was good for the work day, but still pretty tired when I got home.  At long last this week, I started to feel like myself.  Then yesterday afternoon, my sister called me.  Our mother has died.  Not unexpected, but still a bit of a blow.  She lived nearly 92 years, her birthday is January 16th.  So in the interest of remembering my mother and returning to regular blogging, I present Random Thoughts about My Mother. Mildred Irene Wallock Watt.  My mother was born in January 1918...just before the end of WWI.  Los Angeles was a different place then, a collection of small towns, some manufacturing, some agriculture, some business.  Her father moved his family there when the film industry was locating there because the sunshine and variety of landsc...