Skip to main content

It's My Party

The Gods have smiled on me.  My birthday party was all that, da bomb, buck, absolutely FABULOUS.

To begin with, my darling friend Nancy called as we were setting up.  Considering that she was nursing a broken elbow and looking at surgery the next day, I was honored that she thought to call me at all.  My cupcakes from Lisa Madrid were adorable and yummy.  Contact me if you want her info.  They were proclaimed by my daughter Jennifer to be "the best she has ever had."


(Picture is of a painting by Erika Lee Sears who introduced me to Lisa and yes the cupcakes looked just like that)

Jennifer and her husband were there.  Not a big deal for a daughter, you say?  Well, considering that she is actually my step-daughter and her father and I haven't been together for 5 years, yeah it was.  He was there, too.  My ex.  See?  It is possible to be friends with your ex.

Then people began to flow in too fast for me to catch everyone.  When a woman came in looking vaguely familiar, and then the light dawned that it was my friend Kate Hawkes, who I thought was still in Australia!, and I screamed!  It was so lovely to see her.  More hugging, talking, eating, moving from table to table sipping lovely wines all around.  Work friends. High school friends.  So many people here for me.

And just when I thought I might be able to slow down and sit with some folks....up the sidewalk I see my sister Judie and her husband Jules.  Then behind them I begin to see...my sister Nancy!  My brother Nick.  My brother ROBERT!!!!  Those three live in Grants Pass, 250 miles away and I haven't seen them in a couple of years.  Yes, I screamed and hugged and cried!!
Thank you Polly for the picture!

It was truly a night to remember.  I felt very loved.  And even as people began to leave and the evening ran down, I continued to feel the love and connection to them.  To all of them.  And to all who weren't there.

My therapist once told me that he had never known anyone who made and maintained connections to others like I do.  That night, I saw what he meant.   My life has been touched and shaped by so many wonderful people.  My birthday was a time for me to give back, to say "thank you for being part of me."  Yet again, I am the one who is blessed.  The one who received the gift.  And the one who is humbled by how many lives I touch.

Thank you everyone - near and far - who continue to support me as I grow into the woman I am supposed to be.

Comments

Bridgete said…
I so, so wish I could have been there too...but I was there in spirit. =)
Unknown said…
This almost made me cry, so beautiful!
Bert said…
Having you in my life is a gift. Thank you KC.

Popular posts from this blog

If you find yourself in the dark, all you can do is sit until your eyes adjust to the blackness.  I don't know who said that, but I sure do feel that way these days. Here's a little bit about me.  I was the seventh child born to my mother and father - and the last.  I was 7 years younger than the youngest and 19 years younger than the eldest.  My mother, who grew up in a family of actors, had started a little theatre group in our home town and after being away from it for so many years, she wasn't about to give it up again.  So I grew up in the theatre.  Played in make-up rooms and costume shops.  Learned how to read by helping actors study lines.  Learned how to build and paint by helping my dad build sets.  And I loved all of it. I loved the stories and the people and the way everyone came together to express ideas.  I still love it.  It's why I studied theatre in college and why I pursued an MFA.  Nothing gives me as much pleasure as taking words from a page and

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING HUMAN

I couldn't sleep last night.  Not an unusual thing these days.  There's a lot on my mind.  But last night I was thinking about social media and how it has changed our world. How it changed my world. About 25 years ago, I was working on my thesis in grad school.  We had a Mac in our home which was not uncommon, but certainly not as common as it is today.  I was introduced to the academic world via Bulletin Boards, User Groups, and the ever popular ListServ.  For those of you too young to know, these were email lists you subscribed to and every day you would get individual emails from people on the list discussing whatever it was you wanted to discuss.  There were listservs for science and research, literature, children, whatever you loved so much you wanted to talk about it with complete strangers.  My choice was movies. I love movies.  I've loved them my whole life.  I would sneak out of my bed and watch the late show on weekends.  I went to the matinee every Saturday. 

It just sucks...

You want to know what the worst part about moderate to severe depression? (using the clinical diagnosis here) It's knowing when those waves hit you that there is something or someone out there that you let get to you. In my case, it's usually a combination of things. I've got multiple projects coming to deadline at work - stress. I'm not sleeping very well because of allergies. I'm not eating like I should be. I'm getting my exercise - walking, yoga - which is a positive because that's usually the first thing to go. And so I'm vulnerable to those triggers and I know it. I avoid mr. ring on his finger 'cause that will just send me over the edge. But I can't keep him from coming onto my floor and sitting down at the cubicle next to me and talking to someone else. So I put on the headphones and hit play on Itunes and what do I get....love songs. Crap. And even he wouldn't get to me if the really big trigger hadn't been flipped jus