Skip to main content

They called it a near miss

I started a writing class this week. It's online which means I can go to school in my pajamas. I always wanted to do that. :) And it means I can share my writing and get feedback from a wider audience than previously. The following is my first assignment. I had to take a phrase, write a narrative, with some dialogue and have a twist at the end. All this was to be written in 5 minutes and be about 300 words long. I think mine is about 330. I hope you like it.

They called it a near miss, but I called it Daddy. Playing in my bedroom, I heard his tires on the long, gravel driveway and my mind focused. Jumping up on the bed to see out the high window, I watched and watched for his car to reach the end of the driveway. Engine off, I jumped down and ran for the backdoor.
Racing through the kitchen, my mother, damp tendrils around her face, wiped her hands on her apron and called after me, "Don't jump on your father. He's had a hard day." But nothing could break my stride now. I hit the screen door open and turned right.
The porch ran the length of the house; no rail, a wide open platform four feet off the ground. Timing was everything. Too fast - I'd have to wait. Too slow - I'd wrap around his legs. But not today.
My feet hit the end of the porch and I jumped. "Daddy!" I flew the air, sun glinting off his glasses, wind in my hair, and just when I thought he might miss, his arms enfolded me.
"Uff." he grunted. "You've got to stop doing that. One day I won't be able to catch you."
"Oh, daddy. " I laughed and kissed his sunburned cheek. As I nuzzled down against his shoulder, I worried for just a moment. Why wouldn't Daddy want to catch me?

In the dark, arms grabbed me, a hand over my mouth, and as my head hit the ground and blackness descended, I jumped and called out, "Daddy!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great KC , I love it . You were born to write!!
Sara Moriarty said…
Love this. And don't forget about your little assignment. Another 300 words perhaps. I just have to know where this is going.

You did your job as a writer in five minutes. Well done.

I'm wondering why it is titled "They called it a near miss." (not sure about quotation mark/period placement there) Who are "they" and why include that in the title? I know you had a reason. (And please don't make me wait until Saturday. You know I am impatient...)

*loves*
suzy said…
KC - nice to see it typed out-can't wait to see or hear where it goes next. I'll keep checking in:)
Hugs Darlin!
Suzy
KC McAuley said…
Thanks everyone. It's so hard for me to put my art self out there like this, it's really great to get such positive feedback. And to know that you want more!

Sara, the title came from the assignment. That was the line I had to work with. I suppose as it develops, we might learn who "they" are.

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings - or is it starting over?

Almost immediately after I posted my last blog, my car broke down again.  I stepped on the clutch pedal and "SNAP", just like the last time.  Only this time, the pedal did not come back up.  It was stuck to the floor and I was unable to shift at all.  Fortunately, it happened right outside my apartment and the repair shop is at the gas station across the street.  So I pushed it in and called them the next day to tell them what happened. They called me a little later to tell me that this time was the clutch cable and not anything that they fixed in January.  So it wasn't covered by warranty and I would now have to pay another 130.00. I set the thought aside because I was leaving for a weekend trip with friends to attend the wedding of two other friends.  Lori and BC have been together for a couple of years.  And they are so perfect together.  I knew Lori only briefly before she started dating BC, so I had nothing to compare it too.  But ...

It just sucks...

You want to know what the worst part about moderate to severe depression? (using the clinical diagnosis here) It's knowing when those waves hit you that there is something or someone out there that you let get to you. In my case, it's usually a combination of things. I've got multiple projects coming to deadline at work - stress. I'm not sleeping very well because of allergies. I'm not eating like I should be. I'm getting my exercise - walking, yoga - which is a positive because that's usually the first thing to go. And so I'm vulnerable to those triggers and I know it. I avoid mr. ring on his finger 'cause that will just send me over the edge. But I can't keep him from coming onto my floor and sitting down at the cubicle next to me and talking to someone else. So I put on the headphones and hit play on Itunes and what do I get....love songs. Crap. And even he wouldn't get to me if the really big trigger hadn't been flipped jus...

Random Thoughts about my Mother

It's been a very hectic month for me.  I got very sick right after Thanksgiving and was barely able to hold my head up, let alone sit at a computer for long.  Got back to work last week and was good for the work day, but still pretty tired when I got home.  At long last this week, I started to feel like myself.  Then yesterday afternoon, my sister called me.  Our mother has died.  Not unexpected, but still a bit of a blow.  She lived nearly 92 years, her birthday is January 16th.  So in the interest of remembering my mother and returning to regular blogging, I present Random Thoughts about My Mother. Mildred Irene Wallock Watt.  My mother was born in January 1918...just before the end of WWI.  Los Angeles was a different place then, a collection of small towns, some manufacturing, some agriculture, some business.  Her father moved his family there when the film industry was locating there because the sunshine and variety of landsc...